The Illusion of the Busyness Life
Is the illusion of the busyness life new normal? Does the illusion of busyness life mean progress or a better life? Busyness can make you feel good as you wear it like a badge of honor.
You say things like “I am too busy” as your chest fills with pride. You feel like you are important, needed and have responsibilities. For some people, that type of progress does not lead to a better life just more stuff. It can also be an ego boost and not much else.
Is your focus on the busyness life just to accumulate more stuff, to be happier or just to please other people that don’t really matter? Does being happy still mean doing what you like with the people you love? Is the busyness life providing that for you?
Why are you so busy, Really?
Well just being busy may not serve you or make you happy unless you make a deliberate attempt to make it so. Don’t allow the illusion of the busyness life to become the default state of your life, without it improving your life.
Is the illusion of the busyness life making you too busy for your children and other important people in your life?
Statistics indicate 75% of parents are too busy to read to their children at night. The busyness continues to contribute to the rising number of children being placed in daycare and after-school programs.
Busyness had infected me most of my working life. I worked late and did not take earned vacations and as I look back I still don’t even know. I think I believed I needed the money and to make others happy.
There are other things I wish I did at that time. I was clearly not alone as many Americans are not finding time for vacations and other activities.
Would a family vacation or time off with friends make you happy? Is that something worth being less busy for? the illusion of the busyness life is leading to extreme daily stress in Americans today. I am sure this is not the results we seek when we decide to work hard but before you know it we may be living the illusion of the busyness life.
You can change your way of life. Once we are aware we can take deliberate actions to change and begin to live a more happy life. A life where important things and people were the focus.
Don’t fall for The Illusion of the Busyness Life.
The Cure For The Illusion Of The Busyness Life
- Do you know you have a choice? Your life can be anything you want it to be. You can change the default busyness mindset today. Just stop. Slow down and simplify your life. Focus on the truly important and then make your schedule reflect that for the next day. The choice is ALWAYS yours.
- Busyness is not a badge of honor. Busyness just for busyness sake can be fruitless. You must be busy for the right reason. Some people that climb the latter of success later find out that their latter was up against the wrong wall. Busyness just for the sake of busyness can be a waste of precious time. The time you could have spent in the pursuit of important that contributes to your happiness. The potential is always there. Get after it.
- Always schedule rest. Sleep is very important to your overall health and well-being. Arianna Huffington’s book “The Sleep Revolution: Transforming Your Life, One Night at a Time” speaks to this. We all need a day of rest to recharge our mind, body, and soul. This is a good time to be with family and good friends.
- Be reminded that improvement is always possible. You should be clear as to what is important to you and your pursuit of happiness. Life is fluid so working towards that happiness will require subtle changes to your schedule. Schedule your time accordingly and be ruthless.
- Declutter your life. Stuff tends to take up precious time in our day. Please get rid of unnecessary possessions. Just think of what you will do with your free time without unnecessary possessions. Time saved organizing, maintaining, cleaning and securing that stuff. What can you get rid of that you allow you more time for happiness?
- Protect The Asset. Make quality time for yourself during the day. It’s Ok to do for yourself as much as you do for others. You are the asset, the most important, powerful chess pieces on the board in this game of life. I like to make breakfast and lunch my important quiet times of the day. Do what works for you. Take breaks during the day and do what you can to combat the effects of stress.
- No! Is a sentence. Know that you will have to tell people “NO” every day. You have to say no to things that conflict with your goals sometimes. Sure you can squeeze them in but at what cost? Remember the busyness life that serves you is an illusion. Stay focused on your goal and work towards being happy and realize that it may take less time and money than you think to achieve it.
Living the illusion of the busyness life does not have to be your reality. Yes, you have responsibility at work. There are dishes in the sink. Yes, the house needs cleaning.
There is yard work to be done and errands to run and so on and so on. But there is also time for yourself and things that make you happy.
There is a useless time-consuming busyness that you can avoid. Also, you don’t have to tend to email 100 times a day. You don’t have to take on that other project or extra work at the job. Hey, you don’t have to spend hours on Facebook either. LOL.
You don’t have to volunteer so much.
That house or yard work can actually wait and you can take the time to read that book you have been dying to read. Pull the children away from the television, computer or video game and join them outside for play.
Make the time in your busyness life to do the important things you enjoy to make the useful busyness life sacrifices worthwhile.
The illusion of busyness life is just an illusion and reality. Don’t allow it to be your default position in life. Take time to live life, doing the things you enjoy with the people you love.